This introductory course will help learners develop knowledge, understanding and skills related to reflective practice, so that they are prepared to work through the complex challenges of professional roles, including working with difficult clients and managing ethically charged situations. Learners will examine academic theories and models of reflective practice, and will also practice using reflection with a relevant, personal professional experience.
Pre-approved for CPD credit:
Counsellors & Therapists:
- Free preview (Part 1) approved for 0.5 hours by CCPA. Part 2 approved for 1.5.
- BC – Free preview approved for 0.5 hours under Lawyering Skills by Law Society of BC. Part 2 approved for 1.5.
- Alberta: For Alberta lawyers, consider including this course as a CPD learning activity in your mandatory annual Continuing Professional Development Plan as required by the Law Society of Alberta
- Manitoba, Yukon, NWT, Nunavut, PEI, Nova Scotia – consider including this course for 2 hours of CPD
- Students will gain an understanding of reflective practice, including the definition, benefits and some examples and professions where it is applied
- Students will reflect on their work in their profession including client relationships and professional ethics
- Students will review and compare technical-rational knowledge with academic theories of reflective practice
- Students will learn different theoretical models of reflection and test them
By working through the course materials and exercises, learners will be able to:
- Define reflective practice
- Give examples
- Discuss the benefits
- Explain how reflective practice differs from technical-rational scientific definitions of knowledge
- Describe the contributions of major scholars
- Describe and use scholarly models of reflective practice
- Discuss how relationships and context shape reflection
- Examine ethical considerations for reflective practice
- Models of Reflection (Video) FREE PREVIEW
- Models of Reflection (Slides) FREE PREVIEW
- Practice Exercise FREE PREVIEW
- A More Recent Model (Video) FREE PREVIEW
- A More Recent Model (Slides) FREE PREVIEW
- Practice Exercise FREE PREVIEW
- More Examples (Video) FREE PREVIEW
- More Examples of Models FREE PREVIEW
- Progress & Reflection Exercise FREE PREVIEW
Andréa Coutu & Tracy Humphreys
About the instructor
Andréa Coutu, MBA, (right) is a business and marketing consultant with more than 20 years of experience in working with non-profits, universities, startups and Fortune 500 companies. A published author with dozens of articles and several books to her name, she built ConsultantJournal.com into a community with up to 60,000 unique monthly visitors. Andréa is passionate about innovation, knowledge sharing and social justice and has experience in advocacy in client care, health care, policy, immigration and refugee programs, women’s support, education, human resources and other fields. Andréa is the CEO of CareQuadrant.
Tracy Humphreys (left) is a veteran senior manager, who combines 30 years of management and strategy experience with on-the-ground work in advocacy. In addition to co-founding and growing a successful private label hair and skin care manufacturing firm, she has been involved in numerous startups across North America and worked in health care plan administration and post-secondary roles. In 2014, she founded a support and advocacy group for parents of children with special needs. The group now has over 1,100 members in British Columbia and hosts an annual advocacy conference. Tracy is the COO of CareQuadrant.