Step into the world of inclusive language. Bring your client retention and relationships into the modern age.
- Dive into changing social expectations around inclusion and identity
- Learn about inclusive language, privilege, intersectionality and linguistic theory, including how the words we choose affect meaning, relationships and more
- Explore inclusive language around gender, family, ability and settler state dynamics
- Find out more about gender expression and identity and options for vocabulary, pronouns, preferred names and inclusive approaches.
- Learners will learn about changing social expectations around inclusion and identity
- Learners will learn about inclusive language, privilege, intersectionality and how language and meaning are connected
- Learners will be able to better identify opportunities for growth and learnin
- Learners will learn about gender, family, ability and non-colonial inclusive language
- Learners will learn vocabulary, including pronouns, for gender neutral language, gender identity and expression
- Learners will be better able to support clients in an inclusive way, through language and greater awareness of privilege, identity and inclusion.
As a result of taking this course and applying the material, you'll be prepared to :
- Define inclusive language
- Give examples of changing social expectations around inclusion and identity
- Give examples of gender, family, ability and non-colonial inclusive language
- Define privilege
- Define intersectionality
- Explain how language and meaning are connected
- Understand people-first language and give examples
- Understand gender inclusive language and give examples
- Identify phrases around gender expression and identity and options for honorifics, titles, pronouns, as well as identify concepts and vocabulary such as misgendering and deadnaming.
✔ Blend of theory and practical material
✔ Real-life examples
✔ Professional skill improvement
✔ Anywhere access from your laptop, phone or other device
✔ Available when you want and at your own pace
✔ No need to wait for a course to start
✔ Certificate of Completion when you pass
Andréa Coutu & Tracy Humphreys
About Your Instructors
Andréa Coutu, MBA, (right) is a business and marketing consultant with more than 20 years of experience in working with non-profits, universities, startups and Fortune 500 companies. A published author with dozens of articles and several books to her name, she built ConsultantJournal.com into a community with up to 60,000 unique monthly visitors. Andréa is passionate about innovation, knowledge sharing and social justice and has experience in advocacy in client care, health care, policy, immigration and refugee programs, women’s support, education, human resources and other fields. Andréa is the CEO of CareQuadrant.
Tracy Humphreys (left) is a veteran senior manager, who combines 30 years of management and strategy experience with on-the-ground work in advocacy. In addition to co-founding and growing a successful private label hair and skin care manufacturing firm, she has been involved in numerous startups across North America and worked in health care plan administration and post-secondary roles. In 2014, she founded a support and advocacy group for parents of children with special needs. The group now has over 1,100 members in British Columbia and hosts an annual advocacy conference. Tracy is the COO of CareQuadrant.